Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Fun in Texas


Today I drove the very, very long road through Texas.  It is a never-ending state, but there are a lot of interesting things along the way to see (but, I wouldn't want to live there!).

(Click on photos to enlarge.)

The roads are very long!

 This was a nice little house along the way!

This looks like the house that fell on the Wicked Witch!

It's always fun to dodge rattlesnakes!

Texas is a big state for growing cotton.

Oil wells are a common sight.
(Click the play button to play video)



This was a charming little town I passed through.

Some of the buildings could use makeovers!


I found this rather strange; this jailbird was out walking around with a guard.  Isn't the point of jail to be locked up?   (He had a cute little watering can.)


This guy was sitting in a business (not a bar) with a beer and a gun!  (I don't think he was the Sheriff!).  I guess if the jailbirds don't stay in jail, you have to carry a gun.  And, remember, it's Texas!

Nice color house.

This is the town's Bed and Breakfast. 
(I did not book a room there)

Seems like they might want to move the
baby crib away from the window!

Day 1 in Texas concluded with several storm/tornado warnings.



Oh, and the state was also on fire!



When I finally reached Amarillo, I went to see the
big field of buried Cadillacs.




Of course, I had to add my own graffiti.

No trip to Amarillo is complete without a visit
to the Big Texan.


There are no vegetarian restaurants in the state, so
I am stuck eating here!

This is a 72-oz steak.  If you can eat it all, along with a salad, baked potato, roll, and 3 breaded shrimp, your meal is FREE!   They give you one hour to do it.

This guy took on the challenge!

He started out strong!

He was getting a little weary towards the end.

Aaaah - the agony of defeat!  He didn't make it and had to
pay $72 for the big steak!

While you are staring at the guy gorging on the big steak,
these guys played requests!  They were great!

(Click the play button to play video.)