Saturday, May 7, 2011

Death Valley National Park (California)

And, I thought it was HOT in Las Vegas because it got up to 78 degrees!  It was over 100 degrees in Death Valley National Park yesterday!  This park is vast and harsh, but it is also beautiful - it is truly a land of extremes.  There is a lot to see:  magnificent sand dunes, colorful rock formations (particularly on the Artists Drive), and beautiful salt flats, to name a few.  There are 3 million acres of wilderness here and it is home to plants and animals unique to the harshest desert.  Unfortunately, I only had one day to spend here so I could not possibly see all of it.  Tho I whined about the heat, I really enjoyed visiting this national park!

(Click on photos to enlarge.)
 A beautiful, scenic drive from Las Vegas to Death Valley!



"The road is long, with a many of winding turns . . ."






Yeah, right, who's going to sit on that bench in this 100-degree heat?

SALT FLATS

 



SAND DUNES
These are gorgeous!





Dashboard oven - My pizza cooked quick in this desert heat

California Price Gouging!



"Take the picture quick - I'm melting!"