Sunday, May 8, 2011

Nevada Ghost Towns (Rhyolite and Osceola)

On my extensive travels through Nevada, I have found many ghost towns on the map.  Some have more buildings left standing than others, and some are just an historic marker.   Whenever I see one on the map, I try and find it to see what's left of it; sometimes, I just find that all that's left is a cemetery.

RHYOLITE, NEVADA.  Just out of Beatty, Nevada, Rhyolite is a ghost town with a lot of character. With a population of over 10,000 at one time, Rhyolite was no small town. The town was founded in 1904 and by 1907 even had electricity. There is one building still standing today in Rhyolite that was made from 10,000 beer bottles of which there was no shortage in Rhyolite. Another building, the bank building, was 3 stories tall and cost $90,000 to build. Ruins of its wall still stand today. The financial panic of 1907 took its toll on the town and businesses started to shut down. Then, the mines started to play out and by 1916 the power and light company had shut down and the people had moved on.

(Click on photos to enlarge.)



























THE CEMETERY


















I drove 14 miles on a gravel road over a mountain to find this ghost town.  There was only 1 road in and 1 road out, but I could never find much of the town.  The only things I could find there were an old mine, a little house, and the cemetery.

OSCEOLA, NEVADA.  Located on Mt. Wheeler in northern Nevada, Osceola, discovered in 1872, was once a rich gold mining town.  The abundance of water led to hydraulic mining and nuggets that today would be worth $150,000.  After the mines played out, Osceola became a ghost town.  Until a fire in the late 1950s destroyed all remaining buildings, Osceola always had a few residents. The fire brought and end to the longest-lived placer town in Nevada.  



The Gold Mine

Having not found much of the ghost town, I had to take pictures of something. These 2 cows seemed to be willing subjects, so I snapped their picture.



THE CEMETERY








I am always respectful when visting a burial ground